Saturday, November 17, 2007

#15 Library 2.0 & Web 2.0

I have read the Five Perspectives from the eOCLC Next Space Newsletter - very interesting.
I found "Away from Icebergs" particularly interesting, it helped me to start putting all the "pieces of the jigsaw" from my e learning together, enabling the picture as a whole to start emerging.
Surfing the web has already made searching for information so much easier for so many people. The next generation web libraries will create a "worlds your oyster" type of learning enviroment. I can see that it's no longer just sites and search engines, but it's now becoming a shared network space. It seems the skies the limit to what you can find out about, which is great for entertainment and social activites.
I can also see the potential benefit of shared network space for education and research, although the information would need to come from reliable, validated resources eg. universities, journals etc., to be of any useful significance.
I can see the need to look ahead to the future generations and to meet their needs. I can also see the need to still provide the Library 1.0 commodity, to work hand in hand with Library 2.0, 3.0 & 4.0, so as to meet the entire needs of the community.

No comments: